ALBANY PICKLEBALL CLUB INFO
Become a Member Today!
$30 Payable by July 1 of each year. Membership runs from July 1 to June 30 of each year.
The preferred method to make your dues payment (or donate funds) to our club is with our secure link: albany-pickleball-club.square.site. You can make a payment with your credit card.
The dues, as well as Rally In The Valley tournament proceeds go towards adding amenities to our courts and promoting pickleball for everyone in the area. Examples are the storage shed at the new courts, a pathway around the courts, shade structure, bleachers, training and clinics. Please take this opportunity to contact Cheryl or Pam or another board member and join the club. You may also pay by check. Please make the check payable to Albany Pickleball Club. You can hand off your check to any board member.
Contact the Albany Pickleball Club: firstname.lastname@example.org
Albany Pickleball Club Membership Benefits
The Albany Pickleball Club (APC) promotes growing pickleball in Albany. Meet a great group of people, make new friends and enjoy pickleball at all levels!
Organizing as a club (Non-profit 501(c)(7)since 2012) and membership dues has allowed us to partner with the Albany City Parks and Recreation Department to provide outdoor courts for play at Eleanor Hackleman Park and indoor courts at the Albany Boys and Girls Club. It has also enabled us to negotiate exclusive use time for club members so we ensure the courts are available for our scheduled activities.
The APC has worked with the city for 8 years to obtain new dedicated courts. We are excited that our Albany/LBCC Pickleball courts will be completed around July 1, 2021. Hopefully Covid regulations will allow us to start playing immediately. The new courts include 8 dedicated, cross-fenced pickleball courts and a sports court with lines for a tennis court and 4 temporary-net pickleball courts.
Membership Benefits Include:
- Exclusive APC Members play dates and times
- Free or reduced fee for play during organized play schedule
- Free or reduced fee for clinics
- Free Learn To Play Lessons
- Pickleball Social Events
- albanypickleball.com website & blog
- Albany Pickleball Club Facebook Page
- Providing pickleballs for organized play
- Providing AED, monitoring and updates
- Providing first aid kit
- First Aid Training
- Developing Ladder League and/or Round Robin play for those interested in a more competitive environment
- One of the longest running tournaments in Oregon
- Hosting of the USAPA Northwest Region’s Super Seniors Regional Qualifier Tournament – 2019
- Purchasing extra amenities for new and existing courts
- 5% discount for any purchase at www.pickleballcentral.com using code CRAlbany plus an additional 5% goes to a club account for club purchases
Accomplishments As An Organized Club:
- Albany/LBCC Pickleball Courts – Opened July, 2021
- Shed for new pickleball courts – July 2021
- The club negotiated with the city to get the initial Hackleman Court renovation, and then
- Negotiated with the city to get the 2nd surfacing of the courts and developed a three-way partnership with area Edward Jones for funding
- Negotiated with the city for maintenance of the Hackleman Pickleball Courts after renovation. In the past we did all the maintenance
- The club has been working with the city for 7-8 years to get new courts which has just about come to fruition
- Hosting 8th Annual Rally In The Valley Tournaments in August, 2021
- Hosting the Super Seniors Regional’s in September 2019 which is part of the USAPA Northwest Regional’s – a qualifier for the Nationals.
- Held multiple clinics and training
– President: Jim Abbott
– Vice President: Clay Dluehosh
– Secretary: Cheryl Hultberg
– Treasurer: Eric Swander
– Past President: John Morey
CLUB MEETING MINUTES:
– Minutes Oct 25, 2017
– Minutes June 28, 2018
– Minutes September 26, 2018
– Minutes May 23, 2019
– Minutes September 14, 2021
– Minutes May 26, 2022
– CLUB BYLAWS Revised June 21, 2018
Major Milestones and Club Accomplishments:
From day 1 we have had a great relationship with the City of Albany to promote and grow pickleball. Together we selected the little used tennis court at Eleanor Hackleman Park as a suitable venue for our pickleball play with the long term goal of enhancing and renovating the court into 4 pickleball courts. In 2012, the City invested in court patching and painting materials and members of the Club provided the “love and labor”, bought one set of posts/net and the proceeds from the Rally In The Valley tournament were used to renovate the courts. The collaboration between the City and the Club has developed 4 permanent courts in Albany that we can all be proud of.
July/August, 2012: Hackleman Court Renovation Phase 1. Power washed the entire tennis court surface, patched cracks and divots, painted the south half of the court, painted lines and installed permanent nets and posts. The courts were finished just before the tournament.
August 24-26, 2012: Our 1st Rally In The Valley Pickleball Tournament at West Albany High School.
October 2012: Hackleman Court Renovation Phase 2. Patched and resurfaced the north half of the court, painted the courts and painted lines. Permanent nets and posts, although purchased, will not be installed until spring of 2013 as we will be moving indoors soon.
New Dedicated Pickleball Courts
In 2017 construction of new dedicated pickleball courts was added to the City of Albany Master Plan. This was the result of years of discussion about the need for new courts. The creation of the Albany Pickleball Club and lobbying for new courts was a major factor in the process.
Several locations were investigated at Timber Linn Park but proved to be very costly due to required improvements. Based on several discussions with Linn-Benton Community College an option to utilize their 4 outdated tennis courts through an inter-agency Agreement was analyzed and chosen as the preferred alternative. This agreement was an innovative solution for both the city and the college.
Construction began in May 2020 with a completion date of July 1, 2020. A major design change delayed construction and, thanks in part to Covid and some surfacing issues, pushed the the actual construction date out to July of 2021. The courts were finally opened for play on 8/12/2021. Just in time for our 2021 Edward Jones Rally In The Valley Pickleball Tournament!!! The club also paid for a storage shed on site.